Well it just so happens that it was our lucky day because the maintenance crews were at the house doing some last minute things and the front door was wide open when we drove up. Jesse walked up to the door and asked if we could take a quick peek. They were hesitant at first because they're really not supposed to let anyone in, but they asked to take our shoes off and look quickly. I was SO excited. It's kind of scary to sign a 6 month lease for a place you haven't seen, you know?
Once we were inside I felt an immediate sense of relief. The inside was so much nicer than I expected! Yay! And the storage space is absolutely unbelievable. I was worried about where we would put all of our stuff but there are closets galore!
I was also so happy with the area surrounding our townhouse. We can see a playground right from our doorstep and there are mountains and trees all around. Our back patio backs up to a small hill, so we have no one directly behind us (though I have already seen a roadrunner, a lizard, and a little bunny back there!)
The garage is much bigger than I anticipated and easily holds our two cars, with plenty of room for some of Emerson's outdoor toys.
And I know a house post isn't complete without pictures so I'm going to share a few that I took with my iPhone. They're not the best but they'll give you an idea. And they were taken at different times in the day so the colors are a little off, so just keep that in mind.
Just for reference, here's the floor plan:
As you can see, it's a split level. So now we have quite a few more stairs than we did before. Luckily, Emerson is doing great with them. She insists on walking up and down holding the hand rail instead of crawling or sitting and scooting.
The stairs from the living room to the front door:
The living room:
My favorite part of the living room is the built in window seat. I cannot wait to make a cushion for it. (And yes, the light fixtures in the whole place are pretty terrible. But if that's the worst of the problems I guess I really can't complain!)
As you can see, the carpet is dark gray. I'm actually really glad that it's dark because it will be easier to keep clean.
The countertops looks pink but they're really more tan, I swear! :) And this is the first time I've ever cooked with a gas stove. So far, so good.
The little "dining room":
The back patio:
The laundry room:
Master bedroom:It's pretty small but I think we'll be be able to get our furniture in there.
Master bathroom:Emerson's bedroom:
And yes, there's ANOTHER window seat. LOVE!!
Downstairs storage closet:
One of the storage areas in the garage:
We signed the lease last week and officially "moved in" on Friday. We ended up buying an air mattress so we would have somewhere to sit and sleep. Luckily our express shipment from Abu Dhabi will be here today. It has Emerson's bed in it and most of our kitchen stuff. Our furniture is en route from North Carolina and it expected at the end of the week (it left two days later than it was supposed to!)
We have met some of our neighbors and they seem very nice. I'm also excited because there are tons of kids in the neighborhood. Our neighbor's daughter is just two weeks older than Emerson. She will have plenty of kiddos to play with and that makes me very happy.
The playground right in front of our house:
So, there it is! Our new home. And it honestly already does feel like home. I would say I love about 90 percent of it and I can definitely live with the other 10 percent. Jesse and I were worried that it would feel so small inside but it's actually much roomier than we thought it would be. It has plenty of room for our little family! I know once we have our furniture and I really get the chance to decorate I will love it even more. It's pretty amazing what a coat of paint and some pictures on the wall will do. I'll be posting tons of "after" pictures as I complete each room and make it home.