Last year I felt really good about turning 30. I had heard that it can be a tough age but I was just so happy as a new mom, I didn't feel depressed or sad in the slightest. And this year? At 31? I feel even better. It has been a great year full of love, laughter and so many fun experiences. And the best part is that I know that there are even better things to come.
How can I not welcome 31 with a giant smile and a happy heart? Today I am just so thankful for the life I have been given and for the many blessings that God has so graciously bestowed upon me. Honestly, I couldn't ask for more and I'm quite content on my first day of being 31! :)
I certainly don't feel old but I've had a few things happen to me over the last few months that confirm that I'm getting on up there.
The first was at the Marine Corps Ball a few nights ago. I toasted the youngest Marine by saying "cheers to the youngest Marine," and he toasted me back by saying, "to the oldest Marine wife." Seriously? I know I'm 10 years older than you, kid, but I'm definitely NOT the oldest Marine wife. Haha!
The second happened a few months ago when I decided to head to the mall during Emerson's nap time.I was browsing in the juniors department at Dillards when I noticed two teenagers looking at some shirts just a few feet away from me. They were going along and pointing out different things that they liked. With each one, they would comment about why they liked and what it would be cute with. Then one of them picked up a shirt off the rack and held it up to herself. She told her friend how cute it would look on. Her friend gave her a look of disgust and promptly replied, "Yeah if you were 30!"
I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. If those girls only knew just how fast time will fly by!
1. I can't stand to shop in Abercrombie because it's way too loud, too darn dark, and the cologne is way too strong.
2. Some of my favorite childhood/teen shows can now be found on Nick at Nite.
3. When I'm looking for shorts I usually think that they are so short that the only person they would be appropriate on is my 1 year old.
4. A few days ago I was parting my hair so that I could straighten it. I noticed a few really light highlights in one section of hair and was excited that my time in the sun has been lightening my hair. Upon further inspection I realized that they weren't highlights- they were grays! Since then I've found quite a few more. Looks like I may need some highlights after all!
5. I was listening to the classic/light rock station in the car when one of my favorite songs from my freshman year of college came on. Since when did Lifehouse become classic rock?
6. My idea of a wild night is actually staying up long enough to finish a movie.
7. After one beer or one glass of wine I am done and ready for bed.
8. When I go down the skincare aisle at Target I make a beeline for the anti-wrinkle creams.
9. I am just 8 short years away from my 20 year high school reunion. Say what?
10. When I get up from sitting cross-legged on the floor it takes me a good 10 minutes to get all the stiffness. My knees creak and groan and I feel like I'm closer to 80 than 30.
By the way, If you read my friend Andrea's blog you may remember seeing this guest post a few months back. I wanted to share again as I thought it was only fitting for my big birthday!)
I used to think that I would hate getting older, but so far my thirties have been the best years of my life. I surely can't complain about getting old when I have so many blessings to be thankful for. But, of course, that doesn't mean I can't shed a tear or two over my gray hairs and creaky knees.